So after a few minutes of briggling in the garage today, here’s the update…
- I removed the 70mm Thomson stem and replaced it with a 100mm 5 degree Salsa stem. (Surprisingly, the Salsa stem is 2 grams lighter, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be, like, 50% faster. Everyone knows that stem weight counts the most).
- With the longer stem, the bars clear the fork.
- I now have the stem slammed, set up for negative rise (5 degrees down). With the ENVE DH riser bars, it’s about perfect.
Pardon the crappy pics.
Once I confirm that this is the hot setup, I’ll do some steerer tube trimming. I’m doing the Brown County Breakdown in a few weeks, and will need to confirm that I’m going to be happy on this seatpost. The more and more I ride, the more I want a longer seatpost. We’ll see.
This does make me retract, or at least limit, my previous Project 321 criticism, though. If you can live with a longer stem, it works.